Submariner versus Sea-Dweller


Submariner Date or Sea-Dweller, which one do you prefer? When I just owned one watch, the Sub was definitely my number 1. But after a few years I started doubting. This doubt immediately disappeared when the Sea-Dweller Pro-Hunter was released. I wear it almost every day now. Unfortunately the new Sea-Dweller Deep Sea took the place of the classic Sea-Dweller 16600 in today's Rolex range. They manufactured the last in 2009. And to be honest now I prefer the Sea-Dweller 16600 above the Sub, although the differences are very subtle. In short:
- The Submariner has a cyclops, the Sea-Dweller doesn't;
- The Sea-Dweller has a helium-valve, the Submariner doesn't,
- The Sea-Dweller is around 2mm higher that the Submariner, due to the thicker crystal, case and caseback;
- The Sea-Dweller depth rate is 1220 meters, the Submariner's 300 meters;
- The dial from the Sea-Dweller is 1mm smaller than the one on the Submariner;
- The Sea-Dweller has engravings on the caseback, the Submariner hasn't;
And there are a few other minor differences. I think if we would vote among Rolex enthusiasts, it will be around 50/50.